MyButler portal introduction for new students
Table of Contents:
Back to MyButler Student Help
What is MyButler?
MyButler (http://my.butler.edu) is the Butler University
web portal. It provides easy, direct access to university services and information.
MyButler enables common university processes — such as course registration,
student grades, student antivirus software, and advisement — allowing students,
staff and faculty to work more efficiently.
Logging in to MyButler
To login to the MyButler web portal, follow the steps below:
- From a computer connected to the Internet, open Internet Explorer
(6.x on Windows) or Safari (1.2 on Macintosh) and go to http://my.butler.edu/
Tip: 'www' is not needed - in fact, it will not work.
- Enter your Butler username and password and click the 'Sign In' button.
Tip: Your Butler username is the first part of your Butler email address
- without the '@butler.edu.'
Note: other browsers like Firebird,
or Opera may work but are not supported.
The MyButler home page:
After you log in, you are presented with the MyButler home page:
Customize Content and Layout
The layout of this page can be customized and you can add features such as
the campus directory, weather, dictionary, and others. To customize the layout
and content, follow these steps:
- At the top left of the window, underneath the Butler University logo, are
two links: 'Customize the look of this tab page: Content
Tip: You may need to click the home link at
the top of the page to see these links.
- Use the Contents link to change or add content to My Butler. Follow the directions
- Use the Layout link to change the layout of the page (two-panel or three panel
layout, for example.) Follow the directions on screen.
The Enterprise Menu
The Enterprise Menu on the left contains links to your personal data, registration,
your schedules, grades, unofficial transcripts, etc. To use the menu, click an
item (like Self Service) so it expands and the links drop down below it.
To get help using MyButler, visit the MyButler Student Help site.
Help and then click MyButler Student Help.
A new window will open (see below). Choose from the different categories:
Academics, MyButler Tips, Registration, Financial
Aid, Personal Data, and Student Accounts
Use the Search function at the upper right to find what you need.
For example, type in hold to find topics related to holds.
Online Self Service Registration
To enroll in classes using the MyButler portal you need:
- To know your enrollment appointment time,
- Your advisor to remove the advising hold,
- To know what classes you want,
- Permission numbers for classes where you do not meet the pre-reqs or closed
classes (consult your advisor for help and see this FAQ
for information about Class Persmission Numbers).
Follow the steps below.
- Login to http://my.butler.edu as described above.
- Click Self Service , then click Student Center.
- The Student Center appears:
- To begin registration, click the Add a Class link.
The Add Classes page appears:
Note: Make sure the semester is correct. (In this case it's Spring 2007.) If not, choose the correct term from the Select Term dropdown and click the Change button..
- To enroll in classes, either enter the 4-digit Class Nbr (found in the printed
Schedule of Classes) in the text box or click the Search button to initiate a search.
The Search button brings
up the Search for Classes page:
- Your course is added to your Enrollment Shopping Cart.
Note: You can continue searching and add all of your classes to the grid and submit
once or you can add classes to the grid one at a time and submit
after each one.
- When you're ready to finish enrolling, click the button. You'll have one final chance to confirm your class choices before you finish enrolling.
- Click the button and you will see the View Results page. For each class, you will see either a green check mark for success or a red for an error next to each class in the Status column.
Each error displays a message explaining what the problem is. In this case, the attempted class enrollment would have conflicted with the time of an already enrolled class. You can click the Fix Errors button to return to your shopping cart and to make changes.
Back to MyButler Student Help